POSTED ON APRIL 20, 2011:
All In Favor. Tulsa Public Schools released the results of a survey of teachers, principals and other certified staff who were asked to rate various aspects of the three Project Schoolhouse proposals.
Among the survey findings more than half of educators rated the accessibility and equity of current TPS programs to all children in the district as "not equitable."
Most teachers and principals were willing to change to a different school if it meant greater student access to the Trade-Ups such as "community schools," greater access to tutoring, the availability of art, band, orchestra and physical education, more elective options, more after-school activities, college preparatory programs and other criteria.
Nearly 73 percent of educators said they are in favor of recreating Rogers High School as a lottery magnet school, giving students in grades 9 through 12 the opportunity to earn a high school diploma and an associate's degree concurrently. TPS educators were nearly unanimous in their support for access to pre-kindergarten and early childhood development programs.
A total of 1,396 teachers, principals and certified staff members responded to the survey. Teachers represented 95.1 percent of the survey respondents, with principals and certified staff members representing the remaining 4.9 percent. Visit tulsaschools.org to see the full results of the survey.
Down Under. The public is invited to attend an annual damage prevention and emergency response program. This program will provide valuable information about the nation's infrastructure that is located in individual communities.
The program is part of an ongoing national effort to increase the knowledge and understanding of safe digging and damage prevention for underground utilities as well as aid in the coordination of public agencies along with the companies in specific areas. The Tulsa meeting is May 26 at the OSU-Tulsa Conference Center, 700 N. Greenwood Ave., at 11:30am. Visit pdigm.com for a complete list of cities and to register.
Limerick Legs. The Nimrod International Journal of Prose and Poetry and the Oklahoma Centennial Botanical Garden are hosting a Poetry Walk on April 30.
A celebration of April's National Poetry Month, the walk will take place at the Botanical Garden from 2-4:30pm.
The one-and-a-half mile walk will move through the Osage Forest, across the prairie and through 100-year-old persimmon groves. Walkers can listen to poems performed along the trail, read the poems on the "haiku" tree and stop to write their own. A mini-walk is also available. Umbrellas will be provided if it rains. A reception will follow.
Random Acts. A group of Go International Tulsa Students are setting out on a mission to inspire the Tulsa Community in a new and innovative way to create change in their world.
On April 29, the students are hosting the "Orphan for a Night" event. The public is encouraged to spend the night on the streets, an orphan's reality. Students hope to raise awareness for the cause of orphans and to inspire and empower Tulsans to create change in their city and the world.
Funds raised will support a farm that the students are buying in Cambodia to care for orphans they will be rescuing off the streets in June. Visit orphanforanight.com for more information.
This same organization also recently created "Sticky Inspiration," a simple outreach that leaves sticky notes around town with inspirational quotes.
The students flooded the Tulsa area with these sticky notes leaving them anywhere people would see them. The student's vision and desire is that people will be impacted through these notes of inspiration and therefore be inspired to think beyond what they were thinking for that day.
URL for this story: http://www.urbantulsa.comhttp://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38212