"Don B, obviously Mr, McKnight understands a number of facts that you do not. (By the way, I'm J. Andrew Smith, who wrote the letter following his.) However his thinking and writing skills seem to have dazed and glazed you over, but rather than put words in his mouth, I'll state these facts as I know them:
1. The context of the Second Amendment is a "well-regulated militia" defending the "security of a free state". Holmes is not a militia, definitely NOT well-regulated, and was not defending anything or anybody.
2. With gun Rights come gun Responsibilities. I think all gun owners should undergo the same backgrouns checks, training, practice, testing and re-testing, etc., as cops.
3. Self-defense is already law. I say: self-defense is the ONLY legitimate reason to use a gun, and that applies to a bear in the woods, a gangster in the street or a robber in your home.
4. The only thing conservatives are correct about is that there's not enough enforcement of existing laws. But why they think that any citizen needs assault weapons I have no idea.
5. We tried the Wild West. It failed. And "insanity" is trying the same thing and expecting different results.
6. To all the idiot-parrots of that catchy saying "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns":
a) The presmise is wrong. No one's trying to outlaw guns -- that would take an Amendment!
b) The conclusion is wrong: the police, SWAT, DEA, CIA, FBI, etc., would also have guns. Duh!"